Day 1 - Do you believe in God?/What religion are you?
My religious affiliation is a bit strange (well to me). I was baptized as a Catholic, but I follow Christianity and attend a Baptist church though the congregation itself is Non-Denominational. Regardless, I still believe in God. Strongly.
Really? I saw a lot of people updating it on facebook, so I checked my mailbox. I really want to throw them into my dad’s paper shredder, but my mom wants to keep them :O I liked the black ones though because my hair blends in better.
Tsukasa:Even for you, sleep talking is talking when you're sleeping, talking when you're awake is not sleep talking, so if its sleep talking, talking when you're awake is okay too...but if its not sleep talking... its talking when you're awake...talking when you're awake...it means not sleeping...
Teenagers in my neighborhood use summer as an excuse to walk around looking busted as I don’t know what. Or atleast that’s how the idiots on my street roll. Wearing ugly bikinis “just because” isn’t cute. Please, there are children around. If you’re not going to wear anything, stay inside the house. Or out of my eyesight. Like I said, its not cute. Especially at 10:30 at night.
Its been nearly a week since I’ve returned home from the Governor’s Japanese Language Academy (JLA) and I’ve had time to truly evaluate the short 3 weeks that I was there. At first, I thought that it was okay, but now that I’ve had time to think, I agree with the majority of the JLA alumni: JLA ranks high on the list of the “most memorable time of my life”. :] I was happy to be leaving last week, but now that I’m getting back into the swing of doing nothing, I really do appreciate the academy :]
My first day there wasn’t the best first day, mainly because I was so homesick. My emotion pattern was different from everyone else’s there: I was homesick at first, and then I was happy to be there afterwards. Two things that I can proudly say that I took back: knowledge of pop culture (as in, a knew fondness towards the Japanese boy band Arashi) anddd how to say “I want to kill you” in Japanese :] The first day I was there, we spent most of the day getting to know each other, other than that, it was rather uneventful :/ I sat with the beginner-level teacher for dinner. Teachers are supposed to sit with the students for every meal; one teacher per table and this teacher decided to sit at my table. :] She’s really, really nice.
The dorms at VCU were really nice unlike some other university’s yucky dorms *cough* ODU *cough*. The mornings were FREEZING, so I had a thick blanket. My room mate was the funniest person ever :]
^ That’s my room mate :] She’s from up north, quite some distance from where I currently live. She acts so maturely, I was surprised when she said that she was going to be a junior! D: Crazy. I felt so old there because there were so many juniors running around :P
The first official day of class, I made my first “camp buddy”.
^ there he is! :D I remember the first day, we called him Josh-the-lifeguard! I was pleasantly surprised when he passed by my the first day and was like “Hey there, hot stuff.” I love this kid. LOL. Him and his camp buddy, Quinci, are so funny together. At breakfast, I’d always sit with them with my camp buddy and their conversations would go as following:
Josh: (to Quinci) Hey, can you come with me to get another bisquit? (he pronounces “biscuit” like “bis-QUIT”) Quinci: Hey, can I kill you?
Quinci: (sad face) I just finished my porridge. Josh: That’s because you eat fast. Tornado Quinci, everyone watch out.
Josh: (to me) I was supposed to not drink soda today, but this is my second cup. Quinci: Why do you drink soda in the morning? Josh: Why do you drink blood at night?
Hilarious, yes :D
Anyways, I spent quite sometime with him for the first few days, then I started to branch out and talk to everyone else. I wish I had a good picture of my “primary camp buddy”, but sadly I don’t :’[
She acts exactly like my best friend at home, its hilarious. In the morning, she’s so cranky. I called her the “morning godzilla” because it was so true, if you said something she deemed stupid, she’d snap and that’s what was so funny about it!
When I was at camp, whenever we were just walking around the housing complex, I’d almost always have Tino (aka my ukulele) with me. BTW, that above picture? We were in the housing complex when it was taken! :D Sooo, people knew me to be the ukulele player of JLA. On my facebook, sometimes Tino is tagged in the pictures. LOL. We have little yearbooks and most of the messages were complimenting my ukulele playing/singing/dancing. Overall, there were very sweet :]
On an academic point of view, I feel that my Japanese has improved. I can speak better conversationally and I can read kanji better! When I first got there, my sensei was so happy :] I was actually planning on passing myself off as a Japanese 2 or 3 student, but she beat me to the punch and told everyone that technically, I was in the highest level of formal education; I just passed AP Japanese. (I GOT A 3 ON MY EXAM! I’M SO HAPPY ABOUT THAT :D). She was genuinely proud to say that one of her former AP students were in the academy, so naturally, I was placed in the advanced class :/
I tried to hide the fact that I was AP, but I didn’t work, so I just went with whatever was thrown at me. My class consisted of 8 people.
I’ll give a brief description from left to right (I’m in the yellow):
1. Halie - she loves the Beatles, she lives 15 minutes from me, she dresses like she came out of a Crayola box every day (& I totally love the way she dresses!), she’s soft spoken, but reallllly niceeee!
2. Rachael - (behind me) MY CAMP BUDDY! I found a pictureee! She looks a little more happier because its late morning, lawl! We have so many different tastes, but our personalities sort of compliment, that’s why we were camp buddies! :D She also lives, like, 15 minutes from me too!
3. Chris - He’s almost exactly like my friend, Michael, minus the pokemon fangirling xD. (MICHAEL, HE’S A SASSYFRAS BOY TOO!) Chris is very intelligent and that makes him so funny :]
4. Olivia - I’ll admit that I didn’t talk to her much, but whenever we did, she was funny :] She’s always happy and I admired that about her.
5. Matt/Yoshimi - Half Japanese, half Puerto Rican, he fully embraces his Japanese culture. Matt lives 5 minutes away from me, we’re in the same neighborhood! We bullied each other the entire time there; I’d catch him doing something stupid, I’d tease him, he’d catch me doing something stupid, he’d tease me :] Right now, I’m a “quitter” and “dorobo” (meaning “thief” in Japanese, haha. Long story & one that I’m not willing to share, LMAO. Maybe later.) Yeah, he’s cool & he laughs nervously whenever he’s getting ready to say something mean!
6. Jae/Jae-senpai - a beast in Japanese. He’s only been studying for 3 years and he’s near fluent! Its amazing. Really. He almost makes me feel back because I suck in Japanese xD The first week, senpai was pretty chill (I only paid attention to his shoes, because I thought they were nice; he’s wearing them in this picture), after that, we all started talking to each other more and more & he’s the biggest fangirl of Minori Chihara, its actually funny. She’s 30 & he’s like “we have the same sign! We’re meant for each other!” Yeah. :D
7. Alena - She probably the chillest girl I’ve ever met in my life. She’s really nice, she was in my company (I’ll explain that soon). For our closing ceremony, we all performed Snow White and she played the evil queen. She had to laugh like “Ohohohohoho”. It was so weak.
Anyways. At the Academy, we had a lot of events to plan for and in order to do that, we had 6 people nominated to be “Company presidents”. I was in Josh’s company :D We were in charge of writing “thank you” letters, undoukai (a Japanese field day), and International Market (like the other companies).
Our company name was the greatest ever. Team Rocket. Oh yes.
^ There we are! Our teacher advisor was our RA, Elise. Elise is so little, but she’s the most violent little thing ever! She always threatened to bake us into cookies. xD
^ That’s her! Don’t ask what she’s doing, lawl. Team Rocket was a good collaboration of 6 completely different people! :D It was amazing.
^ That was from our “Undoukai” prep. For this particular game we were setting up, someone would have to throw a water balloon filled with water and red dye at a white sheet to make it look like the Japanese flag. When we were filling the balloons up, one of them popped and red water squirted all over the place. As a result:
We made it seem like we did something really bad :O Hahaha. My fingers were stained for 2 days :/ The balloons looked like little victims, so I drew on them xD
It was terrible. That’s why one of Team Rocket’s pictures looked the way they did :] It was the one where we were all holding a balloon. 3 of my “co-workers” looked sad because the balloons, Josh looked like he was gonna beat his balloon up, I was laughing at mine, and Elise was gonna throw hers xD
Undoukai was fun xD
I’m proud to say that I was the one to introduced NINJA to JLA :] I was teaching some kids how to play it in the park, and then everyone else started to play. Matt’s a beast at it, but its because he’s half Japanese ;]
Another person who’s gotten onto my list of “most memorable”.
YEON HO. This kid is so funny! He has a billion conspiracy theories and on top of that, he’s out to kill us all! LOL. For example:
(About Star Wars) Yeon: If you actually watch episode 100, R2D2 is actually a backstabber trained by Darth Vader himself. And that gold robot who’s behind? He’s a princess in disguise. And you know that furry thing?
Me: Who? Chewbacca?
Yeon: Yeah, its actually a princess in disguise. And R2D2 has a twin brother named R2D3.
That one’s the most memorable theory because it was so ridic ;] Yeon’s other hobby is making creative death threats to me and others. It sounds terrible, I know, but they’re actually outrageous. Okay, for lunch we can only speak Japanese, so he sang his threat to me in Japanese.
(To the Barney “I love you” song) Boku wa, boku wa Jasmine-san ga dai kirai Hayaku, shinde kudasai Naifu de koroshitai
English Translation I hate Jasmine Please die quickly I want to kill you with a knife
He told Josh he’d kill him by squirting toothpaste up his nose in his sleep and someone else that he’d kill them by squirting toothpaste up their nose and shoving trash down their throat.